The Tennessee Valley Public Power Association (TVPPA) seeks a Director of DER Development
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Vice President (VP), Technical Services, this position provides oversight and leadership of program development, business case preparation and project management for a wide range of distributed energy resources (DER) programs, products and services. This position will focus on the evolving distribution marketplace and resulting opportunities for TVPPA, Seven States Power Corporation (7SPC), and the TVPPA membership. The position will collaborate with local power companies (LPCs) and TVA to gain an understanding of current issues and develop solutions that provide benefits to the membership, TVPPA, 7SPC, and the overall electric system.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Support the Executive VP, Technical and Shared Services and the VP, Technical Services in their roles in collaborating with the DER Council to develop, deploy, and manage DER programs, products and services that bring value to TVPPA, 7SPC, LPC members and TVA.
• Develop 7SPC load management programs that benefit TVPPA and 7SPC members.
• In collaboration with TVA, 7SPC and LPC members, develop aggregated load management programs to assist TVA in peak reduction, valley fill, and ancillary services.
• Provide business support and analysis of TVPPA and 7SPC distributed generation initiatives. Tasks may include development of ownership models, selection of proposed technologies, and project management for implementation and ongoing operation.
• Coordinate TVPPA engagement in TVA’s Distributed Solar Solutions (DSS) program by providing program administration services. This position will serve as the central point of contact for TVA and participating LPCs.
• Conduct research and analysis of the emerging intelligent distribution marketplace on topics such as distributed generation (DG), distribution automation (DA) and DER products and services with the expectation of blending the current centralized generation asset model with a distributed generation model managed by a distribution system operator (DSO).
• Represent TVPPA and its members with the Southeastern Power Administration (SEPA), including assessment and recommendations on contractual and economic issues pertaining to SEPA, the Army Corps of Engineers, TVA and TVPPA members.
• Serve as the liaison to advisory groups and committees as assigned.
• Provide project and program updates to a variety of audiences including staff, boards, committees, districts, LPC members, and other forums as requested.
• Lead the effort to provide data analytics support to the various workgroups within TVPPA, 7SPC, and DIC. Responsibilities include supervision of one or more employees.
• In collaboration with TVPPA’s Education and Training (E&T) department, develop training programs aligned with programs, products and services designed to meet the needs of the evolving distribution marketplace such as DERs, renewables and load management initiatives. May also serve as the instructor for these classes.
• Develop an understanding of load management issues impacting LPCs and TVA in order to design programs, products and services that add value to TVPPA, 7SPC and its members.
• Collaborate with the Technical Project Manager on a variety of projects and initiatives to leverage respective skill sets and experience.
Qualifications, Skills, and Knowledge Requirements
• Minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or business-related field with a minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in the electric utility distribution industry (or equivalent experience) is required.
• Prior experience in program design, development, deployment and assessment is required.
• Experience with supervising employees is preferred.
• Experience and/or working knowledge with DERs is preferred.
• Experience in power supply planning and load forecasting is preferred.
• Experience in public power with a working knowledge of the TVPPA/TVA business model is preferred.
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with interpersonal skills to enhance relationships with TVPPA, its members, and TVA is required.
• Relocation, if necessary, to work at TVPPA’s Chattanooga, TN, main office.
General Information: This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work initially to be performed by the successful candidate. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities that this position will be assigned. The specific roles and responsibilities will be aligned with the successful candidate’s qualifications and experience and modified through on the job assignments.
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for resume submissions is midnight EST on March 23, 2018.
Post expires at 12:01am on Saturday March 24th, 2018