COMMUNICATIONS & PUBLIC RELATIONS COORDINATOR - Decatur, AL, Utilities seeks a Communications/Public Relations Coordinator.
SUMMARY: Under general supervision, leads the development and execution of communications strategies both internally and externally. Responsibilities focus on customer and employee communications, media and public relations. Plans, directs and conducts programs/activities to create goodwill, and enhance DU’s image within the community. Position exercises independent judgment and initiative in all phases of work in a safe and efficient manner by performing the following duties personally or through supporting employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: A commitment to safety, providing reliable utility services, protecting public health and providing excellent customer service are the responsibilities of all job positions at Decatur Utilities. We believe that teamwork, open communication, honesty, integrity, fairness, diversity and respect for each other are essential traits to perform all job duties.
• Develops and directs communications and publicity programs to inform and educate customers and employees about DU services, programs, and policies.
• Serves as spokesperson for all media contacts. Arranges for DU participation on radio, TV news and information programs to discuss DU activities.
• Prepares press/news releases to inform public of DU activities, services, policies and/or general DU information. Coordinates official responses with all affected parties.
• Monitors news media, both locally and nationally, for events that may have an impact on DU activities. Maintains files of news items.
• Coordinates communications through a combination of social media platforms, newsletters, memos and marketing materials.
• Promotes positive community relations with local civic, service and community groups and arranges for programs and speakers. Makes presentations to employees, business representatives and community groups.
• Keeps informed of events, regulations, legislation and trends that may affect the operations of DU.
• Coordinates with the Director/Customer & Employee Relations or General Manager concerning company policy on activities and/or events of major significance.
• Keeps management informed regarding customer and media inquiries, issues or complaints.
• Oversees and coordinates the regular distribution of company newsletter for customers and employees.
• Works with each workgroup to identify areas where public relations activities would help, such as announcing a new program, change in service, or enhanced service features to better service our customers.
• Takes photographs of events, ceremonies, and other DU activities for use in company communications.
• Designs and places advertisements in various media regarding planned utility activities and marketing of utility services.
• Provides resources and ongoing support to managers and safety committee on safety issues, policies and training.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This job has no direct supervisory responsibilities. Responsible for reviewing/proofing all written and oral communications.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: Bachelor degree in Business, Communications, Marketing, Public Administration, Journalism or other related field from accredited college or university preferred. Minimum of 2-4 years experience working in similar business setting. Familiarity or actual work experience with broadcast and print media operations. Thorough knowledge of utility operations and policies preferred.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS: Strong public speaking and written communication skills required. Ability to interact and effectively communicate with all level of employees, customers, co-workers, representatives of governmental agencies, contractors, developers, product vendors and other professional groups or contacts in the community. Ability to effectively present information to management, public groups and/or Municipal Utilities Board (MUB).
COMPUTER SKILLS: Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Microsoft Outlook, Word & Excel) as required to perform job tasks. This includes using software applications for e-mail, word processing, database tracking and spreadsheet applications and using Internet Explorer to navigate online Employee Self Serve webpage for personal payroll, benefit and employee information. Ability to use word processing and various graphics and spreadsheet software.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as financial and operational cost justifications. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, rations and proportions to practical business situations.
REASONING/COMPLEXITY: Ability to use substantial judgment and analytic ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form to perform somewhat complex calculations, solve moderate problems and organize information for reports.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: No significant physical demands; has discretion about walking, sitting and standing. Job occasionally requires stooping or bending and light lifting (up to 20 pounds) may be required. Generally office environment with no major source of discomfort. May be exposed to occasional minor temperature and traffic conditions when in the field.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, TRAINING: Valid Alabama driver's license; customer-service skills, supervisory/leadership skills and applicable safety training as scheduled. Pay range: $51,794-$79,057 Apply at: http://decaturutilities.com/employment.html Mail electronic application and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE