The Tennessee Valley Public Power Association (TVPPA) seeks a Technical Project Manager
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Vice President (VP), Technical Services, this position leads project management, engineering analysis, and research and development efforts for the benefit of TVPPA, Seven States Power Corporation (7SPC) and their memberships. The position supports business case preparation for a range of technology considerations including distribution electric system projects, smart grid technologies, distributed energy resources (DER) programs and fiber deployment initiatives. The scope of work includes the current state of traditional distribution electric systems as well as the evolving intelligent distribution marketplace. The position will engage in a diverse range of topics including Smart Grid, distribution automation (DA), distributed generation (DG), DERs and high-speed broadband communications (fiber, 5G Wireless, etc.).
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• In collaboration with the VP, Technical Services, provide technical and business case support for the distributed energy resources management system (DERMS). Tasks may include configuration, testing, deployment, and ongoing operations of the software application to best serve 7SPC and local power companies (LPCs).
• Provide project management support on a variety of technical projects for both TVPPA and 7SPC-led projects (generation assets, technology applications, distribution management services, etc.). Project management services encompass the entire project life cycle from concept to deployment and ongoing evaluation and operations.
• Develop technical project proposals for TVPPA and 7SPC including business cases, proposed technology solutions and economic analyses.
• Conduct research and analysis of the evolving distribution marketplace including Smart Grid applications, DA, DG and DER programs, products and services to support a distributed generation asset model managed by a distribution system operator (DSO).
• Assume project management of the existing Aggregated Demand Response (ADR) program.
• Provide technical, business and analytical support for TVPPA and 7SPC in regards to distributed generation initiatives.
• Provide technical and analytical support for the assessment of 7SPC-owned generation and/or equity ownership opportunities such as combined heat & power (CHP), small scale or utility scale solar farms and backup generation projects.
• Provide distribution engineering support to TVPPA, 7SPC and LPCs.
• Become proficient and remain current on NERC compliance requirements applicable to LPC-owned assets impacting TVA’s bulk electric system (BES).
• Serve as the liaison on advisory groups and committees as assigned.
• Provide project and program updates to a variety of audiences including staff, boards, committees, districts, LPCs and other forums as requested.
• In collaboration with TVPPA’s Education and Training (E&T) department, develop technical training programs aligned with the evolving needs of LPC members such as distribution engineering, Smart Grid technologies, DER deployments, and fiber initiatives. May serve as the instructor for these classes.
• Collaborate with the Director of DER Development on a variety of projects and initiatives in order to leverage respective skill sets and experience.
Qualifications, Skills, and Knowledge Requirements
• A Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree with five (5) years’ experience in the electric utility distribution industry or equivalent experience is required.
• Project management experience is required. Experience with renewable and/or DER projects is preferred.
• Experience and/or working knowledge with Smart Grid applications such as SCADA, OMS, AMI, WMS, GIS, DA, DSO, etc. is preferred.
• Experience in public power with a working knowledge of the TVPPA/TVA business model is preferred.
• Experience with fiber initiatives such as designing, leasing, developing ownership models, interconnecting and establishing broadband services is advantageous.
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with interpersonal skills to enhance relationships with TVPPA, its members and TVA is required.
• Relocation, if necessary, to work at TVPPA’s Chattanooga, TN, main office.
General Information: This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work initially to be performed by the successful candidate. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities that this position will be assigned. The specific roles and responsibilities will be aligned with the successful candidate’s qualifications and experience and modified through on the job assignments.
Please submit your resume to email@example.com
Deadline for resume submissions is midnight EST on March 23, 2018.
Post expires at 12:01am on Saturday March 24th, 2018