COMPANY: Decatur Utilities
POSITION: Business Manager & Chief Financial Officer
LOCATION: Decatur, Ala.
Oversees and manages activities in the areas of finance and information systems to ensure that goals or objectives of projects and performance indicators are accomplished within prescribed timeframe, budget parameters, quality standards and safety guidelines. Along with Operations Manager and Director – Employee & Customer Relations, this position serves as a member of DU executive team providing guidance and insight based on sound judgment and experience. This position reports to the General Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A commitment to safety, providing reliable utility services, protecting public health and providing excellent customer service are the responsibilities of all job positions at Decatur Utilities. We believe that teamwork, open communication, honesty, integrity, fairness, diversity and respect for each other are essential traits to perform all job duties.
- Manages and provides direction to the Finance Manager and Information Systems Manager.
- Manages all safety policies, practices and methods to ensure a safe work environment for all employees.
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies and coordinates projects with other governmental entities.
- Oversees the placement of property/liability insurance, claims handling and other risk management functions.
- Implements adequate controls to ensure security of financial assets.
- Assists with cash management, rate design and implementation and other analytical tasks.
- Approves and develops policies, organization structures, staffing requirements, budget projections, systems requirements and long range goals for designated work groups.
- Studies and recommends process improvements that will enhance performance in a cost effective manner.
- Reviews and approves hiring and termination decisions, training requests, performance discussions and pay increases for work groups. Takes corrective action with employees as necessary on a timely basis. Consults with Director – Customer and Employee Relations on employee issues.
- Confers regularly with direct reports to review major work plans, duties, responsibilities and scope of authority to ensure projects progress on schedule and within prescribed budget.
- Keeps up-to-date on information and technology to increase innovation and ensure compliance with environmental and regulatory agencies.
- Oversees and coordinates projects related to the utility operations with engineering firms, contractors, chamber members, governmental agencies and industry professional groups.
- Communicates and makes presentations to the Municipal Utilities Board, City Council and other community and business entities in a professional manner.
Responsible for direct supervision of the Information Systems Manager and Finance Manager positions. This includes interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; evaluating performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. All supervisory responsibilities are carried out in accordance with applicable State/Federal employment laws and Decatur Utilities’ policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor degree in business, management, finance, accounting or related field from an accredited college or university. More than ten years’ experience in business and finance. Utility industry experience and management level supervision preferred.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret common utility industry journals, financial reports, legal documents, technical manuals and governmental regulations. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from employees, customers, regulatory agencies and members of the business/industry community. Ability to write various correspondence, policies and documents. Ability to present information to managers, public groups, employees and Municipal Utilities Board (MUB) and establish and maintain effective work relationships. Often requires higher-level discussions of a sensitive or confidential nature.
Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel & Access) as required to perform at a manager level. This includes using software applications for email, word processing, database tracking, report writing and spreadsheet applications. Must have strong computer skills and demonstrate a high level of competence in Finance/Accounting/CIS software applications.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as financial and operational cost justifications. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical business situations.
Ability to use very high level of judgment to define problems, collect data, establish facts and provide highly innovative solutions to major problems or complex situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
No significant physical demands; has discretion about walking, sitting and standing. Office environment with no major source of discomfort.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, TRAINING
CPA, CGMA or CMA; valid Alabama Driver’s License, Customer Service Skills, Supervisory/Leadership Skills and applicable safety training as scheduled.
Must be highly motivated with strong communication and leadership skills and ability to handle sensitive business matters; good organizational and time management skills; detail oriented; ability to handle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously; available to work scheduled and unscheduled times to accommodate work demands and emergency situations; maintain professional business appearance and image; subject to random drug testing and driver’s license checks.
To apply for this position, click here.