Tallahatchie Valley Electric Power Association’s long-time CFO has plans to retire. The candidate for this position will train and work with the current CFO to insure a smooth transition for the company. The Chief Financial Officer shall be responsible for the supervision of all support services and the overall financial management of TVEPA. The CFO will be responsible for providing high quality leadership, communication, and supervision for the department. The CFO is also responsible for planning, scheduling, and implementing a variety of work to effectively and efficiently operate the department in accordance with prudent utility practice, as well as with all applicable state and federal laws. This position is an integral part of the senior management team with shared responsibility for the implementation of the Cooperative’s policies and procedures.
The CFO must have an excellent understanding of accounting principles and procedures as they relate to the financial management of the Cooperative. The CFO is responsible for the preparation and fair presentation of consolidated financial statements in accordance with accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of America; this includes the design, implementation, and maintenance of internal controls relevant to the preparation and fair presentation of consolidated financial statements that are free from material misstatement, whether due to fraud or error. The candidate must possess thorough knowledge of managing work order procedures, as well as general and subsidiary ledgers, in order to have complete familiarity with the financing and operation of the Cooperative. The CFO should be proficient in the areas of expense analysis, accounts payable, payroll, property records, and long-term debt acquisition. The CFO must also be accurate in detailed analysis and computational tasks, be able to work effectively with auditors, and must possess human relations skills generally associated with a management position in order to effectively supervise the office and accounting personnel.
Due to the “on call” nature of the industry, the candidate’s schedule is subject to change without notice. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The candidate will also perform other reasonably related job responsibilities as needed.
TASKS, DUTIES, AND RELATIONSHIPS
- Directs the maintenance of the general ledger and related subsidiaries.
- Supervises the preparation of monthly operating reports and other statistical reports.
- Responsible for maintenance of the general files.
- Maintains loan fund records and prepares loan fund requisitions.
- Attends Board of Director meetings and Board committee meetings as requested by the CEO or the Board of Directors.
- Development of financial forecasts.
- Ensures reconciliation of all bank statements
- Authorizes and signs cash disbursements and payroll checks.
- Development of annual capital and expense budgets.
- Oversees the preparation of journal entries for the general ledger.
- Oversees the preparation of quarterly payroll tax reports.
- Coordinates efforts to insure effective cash management.
- Prepares and oversees preparation of financial and statistical information for management and Board of Directors as requested.
- Reviews all general and construction fund disbursements made by the Association.
- Supervises preparation of payroll.
- Supervises preparation of insurances.
- Supervises retirement benefits for all employees.
- Supervises wholesale power billing activities.
- Communicates with financial institutions (RUS, CFC, CoBank, etc.) concerning debt activities.
- Communicates with FEMA and MEMA on behalf of the Association in declared disasters.
- Oversees the maintenance of property records.
- Supervises the tax and internal audit activities.
- Assist with development of the Association’s strategic plans and work with department heads/supervisors to coordinate work to achieve mutually desirable results.
- Attend conferences to develop professional skills.
- Interact with the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors regarding financial matters as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Education and Accreditation(s): Bachelor\’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field is required. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Experience: Five to ten years of experience in utility accounting is preferred. Previous experience in financial management and accounting principles with a rural electric utility is desirable.
- Abilities/Skills: Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, including communication of financial analysis. Organize work effectively in order to meet deadlines. Preparation of reports and other documents which require a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail. Prior management experience and exposure to strategic planning and development procedures.
- Driving: A valid Mississippi driver’s license is required.
- Work Environment: Work occurs in a regular office setting. The CFO will interact with a variety of people including: employees, customers, directors, legal counsel, regulatory agencies, other utility representatives, federal and state leaders, the media, and the general public. Hours of work are usually consistent with normal business hours and customer requirements; however, the CFO is on call 24/7. Attendance at evening meetings, as well as travel to customer sites, conferences, workshops, or other professional meetings is required.
SUPERVISION AND AUTHORITIES
- The CFO has the authority to interview, select, promote, and terminate personnel in accordance with approved policies, organizational structure, and budgets, subject to the CEO’s approval.
- The CFO performs the internal audit function for the Association by independently performing checks on the internal systems and procedures of all departments and personnel.
- The CFO has direct supervision of employees relating to Insurance, Employee Benefits, Warehousing, Safety, Purchasing, Payroll, and Human Resources.
What Do We Offer?
Tallahatchie Valley Electric Power Association offers a competitive salary and benefits plan. These benefits include a 401k matching option, Defined Benefits Pension Plan, excellent Medical/Dental/Vision, paid time off and holidays, company funded training/educational options, as well as other incentives. Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
To apply, email your resume to Zach Peavey at email@example.com.
Post expires at 11:59pm on Thursday March 26th, 2020