COMPANY: Covington Electric System (CES)
STATEMENT ON POSITION
This is a full-time position with Covington Electric System. This job description and specification is to give the employee a reasonable expectation of the requirements and responsibilities necessary to successfully perform the duties of this job. It in no way infers that the employee will be limited only to the requirements stated herein. Other job-related activities deemed necessary by management will become an integral part of this job. Covington Electric System reserves the right to revise this position description as needed. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
This employee shall be capable of performing all duties associated with the position of Comptroller involving accounting and financial activities. By ordinance, this employee shall also serve as the secretary/treasurer of the CES Board of Directors.
As related to the Accounting Department, this employee oversees and directs the day-to-day accounting and financial activities and has supervisory authority over those subordinates. This employee is involved in interviewing and selecting job applicants for hire, training subordinates, resolving subordinate concerns/complaints, and recommending disciplinary actions, advancement and termination of subordinates.
This employee must interact with staff and employees on a daily basis for furtherance of CES’ goals and objectives, assisting other CES personnel as needed. All work must be performed in accordance with CES policies, safety rules and practices.
- Comply with applicable safety rules and requirements.
- Observe, report and correct unsafe conditions.
- Familiarity with the CES Policies.
- Responsible for the planning and layout of assigned work in order to maximize efficiency and productivity.
- Lead other employees through personal example by maintaining standards of professional conduct and work ethic consistent with the spirit of CES.
- Must be capable of working at any time outside of normal work hours when necessitated by work requirements.
- Must be capable of traveling out of town when required.
- Possess complete fluency in both oral and written English.
- Operate CES owned or controlled vehicle as required.
- Keep detailed records, as required.
- Train and give direction to Accounting Department personnel.
- Provide necessary support and training for subordinates on general accounting software.
- Regularly analyze department for effectiveness and efficiency and execute improvements.
- Annually prepare and submit budget for the Accounting Department. Monitor progress and expenditures against department budget. Review budget monthly to ensure financial objectives are met and identify major variances.
- Regularly communicate department activities to General Manager.
- Conduct annual inventory.
- Coordinate annual external financial and pension audits and ensure appropriate resolution of any issues which may be identified by external auditors.
- Prepare monthly and annual financial reports and analyses for the Electric Board, General Manager and regulatory agencies.
- Maintain awareness of related financial markets and monitors system’s financial position in order to ensure most effective utilization of system’s assets. Recommend courses of action needed to accomplish the system’s financial objectives.
- Manage cash flow to maximize use of the system’s funds and ensure financial resources are available.
- Provide financial reports for local, state and federal agencies.
- Coordinate information and reports with the City of Covington.
- Maintain knowledge of accounting procedures required by regulatory agencies, including knowledge of TVA, FERC and GASB specifications.
- Manage all accounting processes and procedures as required by regulatory agencies.
- Coordinate department activities to maintain the general ledger.
- Maintain accurate accounting of system’s accounts.
- Ensure timely payment of system’s accounts payable.
- Prepare bi-weekly payroll.
- Maintain up-to-date internal controls.
- Maintain general accounting software. Acts as liaison with general accounting software provider to recommend improvements and resolve problems.
- Verify and approve monthly electric rate changes.
- Calculate and prepare invoices for accidents/damages to system assets.
- Attend FEMA meetings, gather all information for FEMA related storms and complete all paperwork to receive FEMA related storm funds.
- Participate in staff level development of policies and planning (short-term and strategic).
- Work closely with all other department heads to resolve problems and to coordinate work flow.
- Signatory on CES checks.
- Maintain plant records.
- Review billing adjustments.
- Attend training classes and seminars as required.
- Participate in committee or team activities.
Reports to the General Manager. Supervises work of Accounting Department personnel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed here are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science degree in accounting.
- Certified Public Accountant or Master’s in Business Administration or Accounting preferred.
- Minimum of three to five years accounting experience in an electric utility utilizing FERC utility accounting standards (Uniform System of Accounts),
- Qualification through examination of knowledge and performance as determined by CES.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, and/or REGISTRATIONS
- Must possess a valid Tennessee driver’s license at all times.
- Must possess at the time of employment or obtain at a time designated by CES a valid Red Cross or equivalent certification of proficiency in adult CPR and first aid.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of CES standards applying to employee’s work.
- Ability to utilize computer programs associated with their job requirements.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, procedure manuals, computer software applications and other job related documents.
- Ability to write detailed reports.
- Ability to solve problems and interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Ability to plan work for greatest safety, efficiency and productivity.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from employees, customers and the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively and amicably with CES customers and employees in a courteous and proper manner.
- Ability to function as a member of a work unit, maintaining an effective and cordial relationship with all other employees.
- Ability to receive and understand direction and instructions.
- Ability to operate efficiently under pressure.
- Ability to properly instruct others.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of highly sensitive information.
- Ability to perform functions used in complex math.
- Must reside within a 15-mile radius of CES’ office.
- Must be available for planned and/or emergency work, as required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stoop; kneel; work in a sitting position for periods of time. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required for this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to moderate noise levels normally associated with an office environment.
Exempt salaried position. Salary set by General Manager.
Interested applicants meeting the minimum requirements may mail a copy of their resume, including prior five years of work experience and salary history, to Covington Electric System. PO Box 488, Covington, TN 38019, ATTN: Manager of Human Resources. Resumes and associated documents may also be emailed to email@example.com. CES is an Equal Opportunity Employer.