Arab Electric Cooperative
Immediate Supervisor: General Manager
Position Summary: This position is responsible for the workflow, productivity, including appropriate documentation of checks and balances, for all payments made by the Arab Electric Cooperative. The Controller is expected to contribute to the AECI leadership team in establishing a strong culture of service and accountability.
Essential Job Functions
• Daily oversight of accounts payable functions and appropriate due diligence in validation of goods and services
• Produces written and oral reports on required financial filings to regulatory agencies including TVA, the State of Alabama and other entities as applicable
• Coordinates and assigns appropriate labor, employee expense, material, and overhead charges to designated projects in accordance with established RUS, CFC, and AEC procedures
• Controls the Arab Electric Cooperative Financial Planning Calendar, including annual analysis, budget preparation, variance research, and associated analytics
• Provides accurate and appropriate information as needed in a proactive manner
• Communicates and follows up as needed with other departments including all items that involve historic, current, or future cash flows and appropriate safeguards for cash and inventory
• Effectively communicates management decisions both orally and in writing
• Implements enhancements for productivity and accuracy
• Provides assistance with policy and budgetary considerations and planning/promotion of short/long-term goals
• Accountable for all Accounting staff deliverables, assist in hiring process, new hire training, and on-going employee training and coaching for optimal team performance
• Conducts reviews and evaluations of employees and provide consistent feedback on what is working well and opportunities for improvement
• Operates a networked personal computer to efficiently maintain and utilize the data including the use of Micro Soft Office products including but not limited to billing software, email, web data and banking information as required
• Performs other duties as assigned AECI Controller
Education/Experience: A bachelor’s degree in accounting is required. An applicable master’s degree or CPA is preferred. Applicable experience in plant or general accounting in a TVA municipal or TVA cooperative, or PowerSouth Energy Cooperative or Alabama Power is required. Four (4) years supervisory experience of accounting functions is preferred. Preference will be given to those with validated, in-depth, and advanced working knowledge of TVA billing rate structures and TVA reporting requirements. Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Alabama driver’s license. Only qualified applicants considered.
• Validated knowledge of procurement principles and inventory accounting methods
• Proven knowledge of federal, state and cooperative laws, codes, ordinances and regulations
• Advanced working knowledge in FERC accounting, TVA billing rate structures, and TVA reporting requirements
• Knowledge in Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS) and Governmental Accounting Standard Board (GASB) Statements
• Skill in diplomacy/tact
• Proficient PC skills and familiarity with MS Word, Excel and validated experience with other software
• Strong verbal/written communication skills to present account updates effectively upon demand
• Ability to apply logic and judgment in solving problems
• Both the willingness and the ability to give and receive feedback and the judgment to discern when and how for each
• Must be able to work effectively in a team environment
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with both internal and external customers.
• Organized thinking/reasoning skills; good judgment
• The Chief Financial Officer will be expected to become very proficient in each area under her/his supervision.
Working Conditions: Normal work hours, Monday-Friday; work normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment. Some overtime work may be required.
Physical Demands: Job is physically comfortable; individual is normally seated or standing and has discretion about walking, standing, etc. May occasionally lift very lightweight objects typically found in a business office.
Environmental Conditions: Work environment is generally climate-controlled office with adequate lighting and low noise levels.
Equipment Used: This job uses a computer, scanner, phone, copier, printer and document shredder.
E-mail resume and application to email@example.com. The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the associate a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of the business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position. EOE
Post expires at 11:59pm on Thursday April 4th, 2019