Gibson EMC, Trenton, TN
Summary: Oversees the design, construction and maintenance of fiber-optic outside plant (and related infrastructure and software/management systems) as well as residential and small business in-premise installs. Ensures compliance with contracts, industry, local/state/federal regulations and internal policies/standards (for safety, member care, and system reliability). Immediately addresses problems and takes appropriate corrective action. Continually evaluates and improves construction, construction specifications and methods, implementing best practices in design and construction for economic efficiency and long-term sustainability.
• Promotes and maintains a safe working environment by adhering to policies, procedures and regulations.
• Oversees the design, construction, and maintenance of fiber-optic outside plant. Oversees residential and small business in-premise installations. Continually evaluates and improves construction specifications and methods, implementing best practices in design and construction for economic efficiency and long-term sustainability.
• Develops request for bids and solicits bids from contractors for all phases of construction. Evaluates proposals and recommends best proposals. Investigates and vets potential contractors’ past work history and the ability to perform the work to standard. Makes recommendation to VP of Technical Services.
• Develops and manages work construction schedule to meet goals of projects. Works with VP of Technical Services, Technical Services Coordinator and GIS Coordinator to arrive at and communicate construction goals and timelines.
• Manages contractor relationships. Communicates safety and construction guidelines. Sees that construction crews are dispatched to appropriate areas and that material is flowing to contractors. Oversees periodic audits of materials and inventory to protect the company’s investment. Regularly performs random quality checks on construction crews and work product through inspections to assure compliance with contracts, industry, local/state/federal regulations and internal standards. Compares as-built maps to actual construction work. Compares and approves invoices of work performed. Finalizes projects and closes construction work orders. Immediately addresses problems and takes appropriate corrective action. Involves VP of Technical Services when potential impact is serious or when cannot resolve problem satisfactorily.
• Oversees the Facilities Management/GIS system and internal staff to develop and maintain a complete and thorough representation of electric and fiber facilities. Makes certain this information is presented in useful formats to internal and external customers without compromising personally identifiable employee or member/customer information.
• Oversees complaint resolution with regard to construction related issues raised by homeowners, business owners and landowners. Ensures issues are resolved timely and to the members’ satisfaction.
• Works with service drop and home/business installation contractors and internal staff to facilitate a positive scheduling and installation experience for the member/subscriber and to ensure maximum customer satisfaction.
• Trains and supervises employees under position’s direction to meet safety, member care and system reliability expectations. Regularly performs quality checks on internal staff. Immediately addresses problems and takes appropriate corrective action. Involves VP of Technical Services when potential impact is serious or when cannot resolve problem satisfactorily. Performs annual employee appraisals of all employees under direct supervision and sees that all others under indirect supervision also are completed satisfactorily and timely.
• Takes a lead role in promoting a positive subscriber experience through ongoing and effective employee/subscriber/partner communication. Provides updates to VP of HR and Member Services at middle of each month for internal and external communication, as milestones are accomplished and as requested.
• Oversees a fiber/plant maintenance program that assures a high level of service reliability for internal and external customers of the fiber and related systems.
• Assists in the preparation of, analysis of and review of contracts and agreements. Recommends changes to VP of Technical Services. Assures that repair and maintenance of the fiber plant meets the Service Level Agreements and service expectations of the fiber system.
• Ensures that all state, county and local permits are filed appropriately. Works with cooperative engineering department to request private ROW easements when required.
• Stays abreast of and supports the cooperative’s bylaws, policies, and rules.
• Completes all required paperwork (including time sheets, mileage sheets, truck reports, staking sheets, meter sets, material sheets, material requisition forms, and accident reports) properly and timely
• Attends all safety meetings. Participates in training to stay abreast of all safety rules and regulations, best practices for fiber splicing, maintenance and construction
• Analyzes internal processes in area of authority and makes changes to improve member experience and operational effectiveness and efficiency. Makes recommendations to direct supervisor regarding process improvement and problem resolution when independent action would exceed scope of authority
• Complies with Gibson EMC’s policies prohibiting harassment and discrimination and immediately reports possible violations to VP of HR and Member Services
• Complies with Gibson Connect’s Drug-Free Workplace policy and immediately reports possible violations to division VP and VP of HR and Member Services
• Complies with all policies, safety rules and procedures; and immediately reports possible violations to division VP and VP of HR and Member Services
• Assists with annual meeting as needed
• Performs other duties as required.
• Management of personnel and processes
• Fiber design, construction and maintenance (including splicing and installation)
• Customer/client rapport
• Communication skills
• Mathematical skills
• Critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills
• Professionalism and dependability
• Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word
• Planning and organization
Equipment Requirements (must be able to effectively use)
Vehicles (including pick-up truck, bucket truck, and forklift), trailers, four-wheeler, radio, personal computer, printer, copy machine, facsimile machine, hand tools and telephone software requirements (must be able to effectively use); customer information system, general accounting information system, e-mail, mapping, word processing, Excel, GIS/mapping education degrees, certificates, licenses, and/or training.
• Bachelor degree in Engineering, IT, Business or another related field of study or equivalent experience in outside fiber plant management
• Valid Tennessee driver license
• Valid CPR/first-aid certificate
• Bachelor degree in engineering
• Certifications or courses related to fiber/telecommunications, technical services, and information technology
• Certifications or courses related to distribution utility safety
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Three to four years of experience in the management of people and processes (internal and contractors) to effectively meet objectives and timelines
• Three to four years of experience in the management of processes and specifically outside fiber plant design, construction, and maintenance (including service drops and in-premise installations)
• Three to four years of customer/member service experience
• Knowledge of fiber plant design, construction and maintenance (including service drops and in-premise installations). Knowledge of fiber network topologies including GPON utilizing distributed split.
• Knowledge of splice points, recovery loops, electronic equipment etc.
• Ability to interpret construction maps and splice diagrams
• Ability to read, analyze and understand complex documents
• Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
• Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory and factor analysis.
• Ability to plan time, method, manner and sequence of work for self and others
• Ability to learn the cooperative mapping system and software and have the ability to read and interpret maps to others.
• Ability to respond to call-out any hour of the day or night, weekends or holidays, as well as in any kind of weather. Must perform on-call when assigned or arrange for on-call to be performed by another. Must be accessible by telephone and respond to call-outs. Inability to respond to call-outs should be rare.
• Knowledge of all Gibson Connect safety regulations and have the ability to perform duties in a safe, efficient, proper and economical manner
• Knowledge of Gibson Connect objectives, history and operations.
• Ability to effectively and courteously communicate in person and by telephone
• Ability to effectively and professionally communicate in writing
• Ability to maintain professionalism and effectively perform in stressful situations
• Ability to effectively resolve non-routine problems
• Ability to effectively and professionally perform multiple tasks simultaneously
• Ability to meet deadlines under pressure
• Ability to read and comprehend, especially technical comprehension
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of internally and externally sensitive information
• Ability to professionally represent Gibson EMC and Gibson Connect and work on a one-to-one basis, as part of a team, and with groups
• Five or more years of experience managing the design, construction and maintenance of outside fiber plant.
• Five or more years of experience managing personnel (internal employees and contractors)
• Five or more years of experience in customer/member service
Physical Requirements (must be able to)
Talk, hear, extend neck to look above, down and side to side; sit and stand for long periods of time; walk long distances and on uneven terrain; use hands and fingers, lift and carry weights of up to 25 pounds for 20 feet; and push and pull weights up to 25 pounds; see up close, at a distance, distinguish colors, and have depth perception.
Working Conditions (must be able to)
• Work eight hours per day, five days a week
• Work an on-call rotation if needed, including weekends, nights and holidays
• Respond immediately to 24-hour call-out and work overtime as needed, including weekends, nights, and holidays
• Inside and outside work in inclement weather, including temperature extremes
• Drive throughout West Tennessee and West Kentucky
• Extensive travel throughout Gibson EMC’s/Gibson Connect’s service area and some travel including some overnight and outside Gibson EMC’s/Gibson Connect’s service area.
Applications: To view job description and to apply, go to http://www.gibsonemc.com/content/career-opportunities.
Important: This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that re required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Gibson EMC reserves the right to revise this position description as needed. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Gibson EMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provider.
Post expires at 11:59pm on Thursday March 14th, 2019