Meeting Sept. 17 in Chattanooga, TN, the TVPPA Board of Directors voted to change the name of a key advisory group.
TVPPA’s directors voted unanimously to change the name of the Regulatory Advisory Group to the Contract Compliance Advisory Group. Huntsville, AL, Utilities President/CEO Wes Kelley chairs that panel.
TVPPA Chairman David Wade explained that the action originated with his Executive Committee.
“TVA has no regulatory authority in the truest sense,” said Wade, president/CEO at Chattanooga, TN, EPB. “It doesn’t have the regulatory authority of a PSC [public service commission].
“What it has is authority to ensure contract compliance, so the suggestion from the Executive Committee to the board was to start to reshape our lexicon,” Wade said.
TVPPA’s directors also ratified nominations and appointments to four committees or advisory groups:
• Economic Development Advisory Group: Ed Medford, Knoxville, TN, UB (Appalachian District); Rodney Boyd, McMinnville, TN, ES (Central District); Jeff Hurd, Hopkinsville, KY, ES (Kentucky District); George Kitchens, Joe Wheeler EMC, Trinity, AL (Alabama District); Brad Robison, Tallahatchie Valley EPA, Batesville, MS (Mississippi District); Harold Masengil, Etowah, TN, UD (Southeastern District) and Regie Castelaw, Brownsville, TN, UD (Western District).
• Emergency Response Advisory Group: Matt Fagiana, Lenoir City, TN, UB (Appalachian District); Justin Holland, Murray, KY ES (Kentucky District); Jeff Britnell, Joe Wheeler EMC, Trinity, AL (Alabama District); Bill Stone, Holly Springs, MS, UD (Mississippi District); Paul Ruud, North Georgia EMC, Dalton, GA (Southeastern District) and Mike Russell, Southwest Tennessee EMC, Brownsville, TN (Western District).
• Operations Coordination Advisory Group: Jack Suggs, Oak Ridge, TN, ED (Appalachian District); Michael Evans, West Kentucky RECC, Mayfield, KY (Kentucky District); Mike Counts, Huntsville, AL, Utilities (Alabama District); Wilson Webb, Louisville, MS, Utilities (Mississippi District) and John Bowers, Pickwick EC, Selmer, TN (Western District).
• Research & Development Committee: Jeff Britnell, Joe Wheeler EMC, Trinity, AL (Alabama District).
• Communications Advisory Group: Amy Byers, Murfreesboro, TN, ED (at-large); Sarah Hollingshead, Morristown, TN, UC (at-large) and Marlin Williams, North East Mississippi EPA, Oxford, MS (chairman).
TVPPA President/CEO Doug Peters also introduced the board to six new or recently promoted members of his Chattanooga-based staff: Executive Assistant Carrie Badeaux, Conferences/Meetings Director Diana Bryant, Corporate Data Analyst Melinda Harris, Director of Strategic Energy Solutions Steve Noe, Conferences/Meetings Coordinator Courtney Philpott and Manager of DER Deployments Brad Rains.
TVPPA’s directors also passed a resolution honoring the career and accomplishments of Phillip Burgess, vice president for Communications/Government Relations. Peters said he’d finally “resigned himself” to the idea that Burgess is set to retire Oct. 1 retire after 18 years at TVPPA.
Burgess thanked the board for its support across the years and took the opportunity to make a declaration of sorts.
“You need to be proud of this staff,” he said. “I love this staff. Everyone here is so special … they are dedicated to public power and want to do so many things for the membership.”