COMPANY: Powell Valley Electric Cooperative
FLSA Status: Exempt
Supervisor: Assistant General Manager
The Engineer, as a technical expert for the Cooperative in the areas of distribution, substations, and transmission, assists long and short-range system planning design and electrical distribution facility construction. The Engineer must also assist in completing load forecasting to ensure adequate facilities are in place. The position shall assist in determining the need, specifications, and configurations to procure and implement technology-based solutions to aid in the management of transmission, substation, distribution, metering, and mapping.
- Participates in developing future requirements for system changes and additions.
- Coordinates and cooperates with Cooperative’s power provider in the areas of power system operation and maintenance, wholesale metering, regulatory compliance, comprehensive services, etc.
- Maintains close working relationships, cooperate, and assist as needed with all departments of Powell Valley Electric Cooperative to ensure all member needs are met.
- Functions as primary contact and key account representative, while providing information and assistance as needed, for Cooperative’s industrial customers to ensure adequate, reliable supply of power at the lowest possible cost with all applicable power provider credits made available.
- Has the ability to develop thorough knowledge and skills concerning computer hardware and software used by the Cooperative and necessary to operate and function in the Engineering and Dispatching Departments, including but not limited to Microsoft Office, Milsoft Dispatch, Milsoft WindMil, Milsoft LightTable, SCADA, AMI, AVL.
- Maintains ability to act decisively and efficiently during system disturbances and other tasks as needed to ensure the safe, reliable, and efficient operation of the Cooperative’s electric system.
- Assists consulting engineers in preparing load forecasts, long range engineering plans, construction work plans, and other engineering documents as needed to prepare for RUS loan applications and assisting as needed with application and post-loan administration.
- Performs system studies including voltage conditions, loading, fault current, power factor, etc. to determine essential improvements for reliability and efficiency.
- Be acquainted and knowledgeable in the arena of data analytics to enhance the value of applicable electric system technology.
- Functions as primary contact dealing with TVA/NERC related matters.
- Shows, through words and actions, commitment to the mission and the guiding values of the Cooperative.
- Works with PVEC members when they have questions or concerns.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Must acquire a thorough understanding of electric power distribution design, construction and operation.
- Must acquire a thorough knowledge of the National Electrical Safety Code.
- Must be able to work non-standard hours and/or extended hours beyond normal shift and during emergencies (e.g., evenings, weekends, holidays, etc.) in all weather conditions.
- Work with and communicate information with engineers, consultants and other outside companies and agencies that are affiliated with the Cooperative.
- Performs all duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Assistant General Manager: Confer with and to seek advice and/or approvals as needed on all issues concerning Engineering.
- Supervisory personnel: Provide assistance and advice on all engineering-related issues and to collaborate with as a team
member to help achieve positive organizational results.
c. Administrative staff: Manages and directs activities including projects and other procedures related to engineering.
d. Other employees: Build relationships that are positive, cooperative and respectful when working together to accomplish the mission and guiding principles of the Cooperative.
a. Outside consultants and vendors: Confer with concerning alignment of engineering to achieve the objectives of the Cooperative.
- Professional and community organizations and leaders: Network with in obtaining and understanding best engineering practices.
- Government Agencies: Follow procedures for engineering as required as a government contractor.
d. Members: Favorably represent the Cooperative by delivering excellent customer service and to promote the mission and guiding values of the Cooperative.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Proficiency required in all aspects of electrical distribution lines, sub-transmission lines, substations, metering and services.
- Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills.
- Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
- While performing these job responsibilities, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers to handle papers and the keyboard. The employee is required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb, or balance, and to stoop, kneel, bend or crouch and lift moderately heavy objects. Visual acuity and manual dexterity to enter data required.
- Residency requirements include residing within 45 minutes of home office due to the position being subject to after hours and/or emergency call-out.
On-call availability for maintenance and outage issues necessitated. Occasional exposure to inclement weather may occur.
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications will be discussed only during the interview. Excellent benefit package.
NOTE: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer-minorities/women/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Please email your application to email@example.com.